Asian Beef Noodle Soup
All credit goes to Diabetes Canada for posting this recipe!
Loaded with vegetables, this Vietnamese-style soup is full of flavor and takes less than 10 minutes to cook.
- 8 oz (250g) lean tender beef, such as sirloin
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 4 cups (1 L) reduced-sodium beef stock
- 4 cups (1 L) water
- 2 thin slices fresh gingerroot, smashed with side of knife
- 2 oz (60 g) (about 2 cups/500 mL) rice vermicelli, broken into 3-inch (7.5 cm) pieces
- 2 carrots, peeled and shredded
- 2 cups (500 mL) sliced Napa cabbage or bok choy
- ½ tsp (2 mL) toased sesame oil
- 2 cups (500 mL) mung bean sprouts
- ¼ cup (50 mL) coarsely chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 green onions, sliced
- Slice beef into very thin strips. In a bowl, combine beef with soy sauce. Set aside.
- In a large saucepan over high heat, bring stock and gingerroot to a boil. Add vermicelli; boil for 2 minutes or until softened. Add beef, carrots and cabbage.
- Return to a boil; cook for 2 minutes. Add sesame oil and bean sprouts; cook for 1 minute or until heated through. Ladle into soup bowls; garnish with cilantro and chopped green onions.
Canada’s Choice per serving:
1 ½ Meat & Alternatives
|Total fat||3 g|
|Saturated fat||1 g|